Week 1 – Nutrition Month Challenge
The theme for Week 1 is Discover the Food Guide’s Plate. The new Canada’s Food guide encourages us to have plenty of fruits and vegetables, to consume protein foods, to choose whole grain foods and to make water our drink of choice. This week’s daily challenges will focus on incorporating and learning more about each section of the plate.
- Include plant-based protein in a meal
- For more information on plant-based protein click here.
- Fill up 1/2 your plate with vegetables
- Fill up 1/4 of your plate with whole grains
- What are whole grain foods? Whole grain foods are a healthier choice than refined grains because whole grain foods include all parts of the grain. Refined grains have some parts of the grain removed during processing. Whole grain foods have more fibre than refined grains. Eating foods higher in fibre can help lower your risk of some chronic diseases. Click here for more information.
- Try a new fruit or vegetable at the store.
- Use a healthier cooking method.
- Click here for some tips on how to prepare meals and snacks using healthy ingredients.
- Use the plate method (see photo below).