Recipe 1: Gingerbread-Apple Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (can substitute melted coconut oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 apple, cut in small pieces
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 generous tablespoon fresh grated ginger or ginger paste (you can also substitute 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1½ cups whole grain whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp all-spice
- brown or turbinado sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray, coconut oil or butter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (butter, eggs, maple syrup, yogurt, milk, apple, brown sugar and ginger).
- Add the flours, baking soda, salt, and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice). Stir until just combined (might be a little lumpy–that’s ok. Best not to over-stir muffins).
- Scoop into a muffin tin and sprinkle the tops with a bit of sugar.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until the tops are puffy and firm to the touch. Cool, serve and enjoy!
Recipe 2: Cinnamon Nutmeg Spiced Nuts
- 2 cups of any mixed nuts &/or seeds (ex: cashews, almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2.5 tablespoons maple syrup
- Optional: Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 300F
- In a bowl, add all of the ingredients together and mix well with a spoon
- Add the mix to a parchment paper-lined baking dish, and bake for 25 minutes, flipping the nuts midway
- Allow to cool, and enjoy with 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt!
- If using unsalted nuts/seeds, add a pinch of salt at the end, to taste.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 weeks.
Recipe adapted from: https://foodheavenmadeeasy.com/cinnamon-nutmeg-spiced-nuts/