Mental Health Counselling

At the MFHT, mental health counselling is provided by a Registered Social Worker. 

What is a Social Worker?

A Social Worker is a registered professional with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers who is guided by the Scope of Practice and Ethical Standards.

Social workers assist individuals, families and communities to resolve problems that affect their day-to-day lives. People consult social workers when they are going through a difficult period in their personal, family and/or work life. Social workers help identify the source of stress or difficulty, make assessments, mediate between conflicts, offer various forms of counselling and therapy, and help people to develop coping skills and find effective solutions to their problems. Social work is unique among the helping professions because it focuses on people’s problems within the context of their families, communities and workplaces.

Why see a Social Worker?

A Registered Social Worker will work collaboratively with other health care professionals to guide your treatment goals within the following areas:

  • Situational Stressors (i.e work/major life change)
  • Postpartum adjustment, anxiety and depression
  • Grief / Bereavement
  • Sleep Concerns
  • Emotional regulation (i,e anger, hypersensitivity)
  • Marital / relationship issues
  • Parenting challenges
  • Issues related to loss or adjustment
  • Addiction
  • Trauma 
  • Work-related or school-related problems
  • Effective coping skills
  • Addiction
  • Family support for those suffering with mental health and/or addiction issues
  • Concurrent Disorders
  • Education to support wellness and recovery management

Further assistance includes:

  • Referrals and advocacy for access to resources to assist individuals and families
  • Assistance with form completion
  • Programs

Who can use this service?

Social work support at the MFHT is for adults, 18 years of age or older.

How do patients of the MFHT access Social Work support?

If you think you would benefit from an appointment with the Social Worker, please speak with a physician, Nurse Practitioner or other health care provider at the MFHT, so they can provide you with a referral. All visits are covered by the Ontario Ministry of Health for patients of the MFHT.