4 hr 10 mins
- 2 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (~12 ounces or 0.75 lbs)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth*
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning**
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups spinach, chopped, optional
- Fresh parsley, parmesan cheese, pepper to taste, optional
- Lightly spray a slow cooker with non-stick spray. I used a 6-quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- Add in the boneless skinless chicken breasts (no need to cook first), chopped yellow onion, chopped celery, diced carrots, garlic, uncooked quinoa (rinse to remove bitter saponin if your quinoa isn’t pre-rinsed), and fire-roasted diced tomatoes.
- Add broth and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-5 hours or until the quinoa has popped and the chicken shreds easily.***
- Shred the chicken with two forks and return it to the crockpot.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Add spinach and stir gently to wilt.
- Add in any more seasonings to taste and fresh parsley if desired.
- Top each bowl with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
- *For the chicken broth, I use chicken bouillon cubes/powder dissolved in hot water.
- ** substitute Italian seasoning with ¼ tsp each basil, oregano and parsley, with a dash of rosemary, thyme and garlic powder as available.
- ***The longer this soup “sits” or cooks the more broth that gets absorbed into the quinoa. This makes it heartier and also less brothy. If you want a more brothy soup, watch carefully and remove from the heat of the slow cooker when it is your desired consistency. Alternatively add more broth as desired.
- This soup does not freeze and thaw well.
- Recipe from: https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/wprm_print/18610