prep time 15 minutes
total cooking time 4-8 hours
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch knob of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium veggie or chicken broth
- 1-2 tablespoons red harissa (spicy, can also substitute for hot sauce)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Almond slices, for topping
- whipped or crumbled goat cheese, for serving
- In the bowl of a crockpot, combine the lentils, onion, ginger, garlic, carrots, red pepper, tomatoes, veggie broth, 1/2 cup water, the harissa, paprika, cumin, cinnamon and a large pinch of pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice, chickpeas, and cilantro, cook until heated through. If the soup is too thick, add more water or broth to thin.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with whipped goat cheese, nuts and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Recipe source: https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/wprm_print/45185